How can coconut oil help eczema?
- by Petra Jelinkova
Coconut oil is one of those natural wonders you keep hearing about when you start talking eczema and as you start your research you will begin to understand why. It is a key ingredient in our eczema moisturiser and scalp oil for its intensely rich and protective properties. It is taken from the edible flesh of a coconut, has many characteristics which can help to manage eczema. Here are some of them:
- Lauric acid has proven antibacterial properties which can help control the growth of staphylococcus bacteria which loves living on dry skin. It also has anti-inflammatory benefits which can help during the itch-scratch cycle.
- Saturated fats these add smoothness to the skin and also layer the skin’s natural barrier to help it to retain moisture.
- Vitamin E which is needed for healthy skin to grow and repair itself.
- Phytonutrients and polyphenols which have antioxidant properties to fight skin cell damage
- Caprylic and capric acid to prevent itchy and flakey skin as well as helping to protect the skin’s natural protective barrier.
What is the difference between organic virgin coconut oil and refined coconut oil?
There are two main types of coconut oils and they are virgin coconut oil (hopefully organic) and refined coconut oil. Virgin coconut oil is the one you want to use, it comes directly from fresh coconut without the use of chemicals. Refined coconut oil has gone through a chemical process where it has been dried and then prepared with chemicals to extend its shelf life. This process can also take out the natural beneficial properties of coconut oil for the skin.
How can I use it for my child’s eczema?
As with all natural products you should patch test first to check for any allergies or a reaction. The best time to use virgin coconut oil as a moisturiser is immediately after the bath while the skin is still damp. This is when the skin can absorb the most amount of moisture and also the time when a moisturiser will be most effective in helping to form a barrier on the skin to stop water loss and triggers getting in.
One of the main ingredients in our eczema moisturiser is organic coconut oil. When combined with the hydrating, soothing and anti-itch properties of colloidal oatmeal, as well as the protective and intensely rich properties of organic shea butter and organic beeswax it is packed full of natural properties to help manage eczema.
Our itchy baby co. natural scalp oil also offers the goodness of coconut oil, with the main ingredients being caprylic and capric acid which work to fight dryness and flaking.
This blog post was brought to you and your baby with love by Julia and the Itchy Baby Co. team. X
Disclaimer: Information provided is of a general nature only, and you should always consult your medical professional.