How can I help my eczema baby sleep in Summer
- by Petra Jelinkova
My little boy scratching himself throughout the night in the heat and humidity of summer was yet another challenge eczema presented. I was waking to find blood on the sheets from my him scratching himself in his sleep or waking up throughout the night crying, itchy and uncomfortable and me at a loss to help him. This itching started the eczema itch-scratch cycle and then sometimes went on to become infected eczema.
For a lot of us hot weather makes managing our baby’s eczema that much harder. The warm days lead to extra warm nights which can trigger eczema flare ups and cause our little ones to wake themselves up uncomfortable with itchy skin throughout the night.
Here are some tips
- Running a lukewarm bath (not a cool or cold bath) for your eczema baby before sleep will help to keep baby cool. If the bath is cold this can actually increase the body temperature because the body tries to compensate for the sudden temperature drop.
- Keep your moisturiser in the fridge which will have a cooling effect when you apply it on your eczema baby’s skin.
- If your little one sleeps with a comforter or soft toy, an hour before bed pop it in a plastic bag in the freezer.
- If your eczema baby is sleeping in a sleepsuit think about cutting it off at the feet. This will make the feet cooler, which can cool down the whole body and also allow air to circulate around the body better. Trapped air gets very warm.
- Use breathable bedding, we only use 100% cotton sheets and during summer the most we have on our beds is a single sheet.
- Make sure your eczema baby is hydrated throughout the day and a offer a cold drink just before bed.
- Keep the blinds closed or curtains drawn during the day to block out the heat from the sun directly in their bedroom.
This blog post was brought to you and your bub with love and care from Julia and the itchy baby co. team. X
Disclaimer: Information provided is of a general nature only, and you should always consult your medical professional