How Does Colloidal Oatmeal Help Skin Prone to Eczema?
- by Lauran Morphett
How does colloidal oatmeal help skin prone to Eczema?
Oatmeal has been used for hundreds of years to aid in soothing symptoms of sensitive skin and those prone to eczema. The ultimate key ingredient in Itchy Baby Co. products is colloidal oatmeal which is made by finely grinding down the oats until it becomes a powder like consistency.
How does colloidal oatmeal help itchy and irritated skin conditions such as eczema?
There are plenty of reasons and all are linked to the oatmeal’s chemical structure.
- Oatmeal can hold water and protect the skin because it is packed full of starches and beta-glucans.
- Oatmeal has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties through its many types of phenols.
- Oatmeal also cleanses the skin due to its saponins.
- Oatmeal softens the skin because it has lots of cellulose and fibre.
With all these useful properties, colloidal oatmeal has been used to treat many conditions including eczema, chicken pox, insect bites and other skin irritations.
The facts: Studies and results of colloidal oatmeal for eczema-prone skin
The Journal of Drugs and Dermatology has published in more detail the reasons why colloidal oatmeal works for itchy and irritated skin. In their article, Colloidal oatmeal: history, chemistry and clinical properties, they discuss studies where colloidal oatmeal has been used in the treatment of eczema. Here are some results:
- In a study where 139 patients used a colloidal oatmeal bath for three months, more than 71% reported a complete or dramatic reduction in itching.
- A study of 152 children with dermatitis found that bathing in colloidal oatmeal eased the irritation and itching of eczema.
- Very recent studies have confirmed colloidal oatmeal forms a protective, moisturising barrier on the skin.
- A study of 25 patients with dermatitis had a colloidal oatmeal bath every day for seven days with a 67% improvement in itching.
Of course we would love to see much larger studies being done on the benefits and effectiveness of colloidal oatmeal but you don’t need to look very hard to find evidence that it can help manage sensitive eczema-prone skin.
This post was brought to you and your baby with love by Julia and the Itchy Baby Co. team. X
Disclaimer: Information provided is of a general nature only, and you should always consult your medical professional.